logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
injunear  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 10:52:34 PM(UTC)
injunear

Groups: Registered

I just got my TK102.

Firstly, I should say that when powered on the device doesn't seem to search as the led does not flash, it's solid on. It does flash sometimes when I connect it to the charge cable?

I installed 2 different SIMS to it: one ATT from my Samsung Galaxy which is GSM and of course with data, voice and sms.

I used my wife's phone to send the SMS "begin123456" but never got any response. I removed that card and reinstalled to my phone and the 25, or so, messages I had sent were stacked up and displayed as new messages on my phone. So the GPS receiver never accepted the sms messages at all.

The second card yielded exactly the same. It is from H2O and is a 4g lte card that has data, voice and sms enabled. Of course I tested this in my phone.

I know that 4g lte is not recommended here but it's hard to find any carrier that provides 2G GSM, or at least I can't find any.

The carrier recommended here is T-Mobile but it too is 4G lte. I don't have any idea what my ATT card is.

What are your suggestions? I'm a bit confused by the fact I see no flashing other than when it's on charge yet the battery seems to be fully charged.
injunear  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 8:58:27 AM(UTC)
injunear

Well, I'll answer my own question(s)....The card I bought specifically for this tracker discontinued 2G service as of 1/1/2017....My other sim card, from my phone is from ATT and also discontinued 2G support and services at the same time.

So, one has to ask, given the limited usefulness of this device why it is still being sold? One can buy SIM cards for 2G devices but is there 2G service coverage to allow the device to have adequate coverage or are there going to be "dead spots" or 'out of service' areas where there's no coverage? Probably!

I'm now looking for another device that's more modern and can use 3G or higher.....This was a $25 "learning curve".........
AbleGrid  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 9:06:38 AM(UTC)
AbleGrid

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: injunear Go to Quoted Post
Well, I'll answer my own question(s)....The card I bought specifically for this tracker discontinued 2G service as of 1/1/2017....My other sim card, from my phone is from ATT and also discontinued 2G support and services at the same time.

So, one has to ask, given the limited usefulness of this device why it is still being sold? One can buy SIM cards for 2G devices but is there 2G service coverage to allow the device to have adequate coverage or are there going to be "dead spots" or 'out of service' areas where there's no coverage? Probably!

I'm now looking for another device that's more modern and can use 3G or higher.....This was a $25 "learning curve".........

hello,

yes, for TK102B , (most of current gps trackers at market) is still use 2G , which only from tmobile

please read our forum, if you only need SMS tracking mode, no data necessary
any prepaid T-Mobile sim card works with SMS

also we will have our own sim card within few weeks, and at that time, no more troubles to look for a sim card. however, it is still in tmobile coverage area (some area does not have tmobile)

thanks
injunear  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 9:12:30 AM(UTC)
injunear

Thanks for the reply but I just looked up the 2G coverage for my area. There's little or no 2G in my area as the service is shut down. You can verify coverage in your area here:

https://www.telogis.com/2g-sunset

So even if I bought a 2G SIM card there's no Towers in my area that are going to connect to it........Like I said, it is a $25 learning curve.....
AbleGrid  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 8:14:03 AM(UTC)
AbleGrid

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: injunear Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the reply but I just looked up the 2G coverage for my area. There's little or no 2G in my area as the service is shut down. You can verify coverage in your area here:

https://www.telogis.com/2g-sunset

So even if I bought a 2G SIM card there's no Towers in my area that are going to connect to it........Like I said, it is a $25 learning curve.....

meanwhile, all tmobile area has 2G , regardless the map from telogis. com

tmobile will shut down the 2G in 2019 December , they are still marketing 2G and tried to get ATT's previous 2G customers.